Whip up a delicious taste of summer with this dairy- and egg-free semifreddo. This is incredibly simple and quick to make – and looks very pretty. A classic semifreddo is usually made with eggs but I haven’t done so for this version. And I’ve used soya cream which gives the semifreddo a truly creamy taste and texture. One to enjoy throughout the summer!
gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free, yeast-free, nut-free, seed-free, egg-free, citrus-free
Preparation time 2 minutes cooking time 10 minutes plus 3-3½ hours freezing time serves 6
- 200g strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 120g runny honey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 250ml soya cream
- 375g strawberries, hulled
- 3 tbsp xylitol or fruit sugar
- Place the strawberries, honey and vanilla extract in a heavy-based saucepan and cook gently over a low heat for 5-6 minutes until the strawberries have softened. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, pour the soya cream into a medium-sized saucepan and heat gently for 3-4 minutes until just starting to boil. Mix the cornflour and 1 tbsp water together in a small bowl to form a smooth paste. Add to the cream and, using a whisk or a hand-held electric whisk, whisk for 2-3 minutes until the cream has thickened a little. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Line a 450g loaf tin with a large piece of cling film. Pour the strawberry mixture into the cream mixture and stir in gently until all the cream mixture has changed colour. Pour the mixture into the loaf tin, ensuring that the strawberry pieces are evenly distributed on the bottom of the tin, and cover with the cling film. Place in the freezer for 3-3½ hours, or overnight, until set.
- To make the coulis, place the strawberries and xylitol or sugar in a heavy-based saucepan and cook gently over a low heat for 4-5 minutes. Push the mixture through a fine non-metallic sieve, discard the pulp and leave to cool.
- Before serving, remove the semifreddo from the freezer and leave to soften slightly at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. Cut the semifreddo into slices and serve with the coulis.